Friday, May 9, 2008

Back to Merlin

I am finally getting back to some molecular biology. Although I don't particularly enjoy working with DNA, it is vital to what we do. Last night I inoculated some media with a colony of bacteria that I am hoping contains my plasmid. When I came in this morning, I noticed that somebody had turned the incubator down to 30 degree C. I should have checked it when I put my cultures in but in reality, the incubator has never been at any other temperature but the 37 degrees C necessary for optimal bacterial growth (at least for the vast majority of bacteria used in molecular biology). My cultures still grew but not as well as they should have. I turned the incubator back up to 37 and am letting the cultures grow for a couple hours more. After they are done, I will isolate the plasmid DNA and do a restriction digest to see if my desired DNA sequence is actually there.

No comments: