Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Can I get worker's comp for allergies???

After the last year or so of scratchy eyes, runny nose, and sneezing fits almost every time I do a rat surgery, I have come to realize that I probably have a low grade allergy to rats. That is not good. I make my living working with rodents. Yesterday, I came in (yes, I was laboring on Labor Day) to do some surgeries and sure enough my nose started running and my eyes started to itch. It wasn't too bad but enough to notice. This morning, I went into the Animal Care Unit to check on my rats and my body went crazy. I couldn't stop sneezing. I probably lost a pound of snot and the only reason I can still see is that I was smart enough to wear my glasses this morning instead of my contacts. Without my glasses, my fingers would have had free access to my eyes and they would probably both still be in the animal care facility. Later, I ran into a friend of mine and casually mentioned the incident. He just smiled and in a stuffed voice somewhat similar to mine offered me some sudafed. Apparently, the same thing happened to him this morning. Thankfully, the rate at which my trash can is filling with used tissues is slowing.

No comments: